Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Crispy [and sooo yummy] Tacos!

Have you heard of Smitten Kitchen? Goodness I sure hope so. It's one of my favorite food blogs to read. I think Miss Pose showed it to me. :-) Everything she does looks pretty and inspiring. She makes foods I might not normally want to eat look unbelievably good. I haven't tried that many of her recipes because I don't get to do too much creative cooking these days but oh goodness...

These tacos are delicious!! and minus the time commitment of doing the frying (though while that happens you can be cleaning up or making up the slaw etc) they are super easy and quick. We've made them for company twice and both times they were a big hit. It's a fun meal that makes you feel like you're eating a bite of spring. The slaw is so good I never have leftovers; if we run out of tacos and there's some left we just eat it by itself. Another wonderful thing about this meal is that it's gluten free for all you non-gluten people and has so much flavor it's easy to leave it dairy free as well. (Though Andree prefers to have some shredded cheese or sour cream on the side to add to it.)



Crispy Black Bean [Chicken] Tacos with Feta and Cabbage Slaw

From Smitten Kitchen February 2009 [with my tweaks]

1 15-ounce can black beans, drained [this is the only time Dre will eat these]

1 teaspoon ground cumin

5 teaspoons olive oil, divided

2 tablespoons (or more) fresh lime juice

2 cups shredded green cabbage [Safeway has some with their bagged salads]

2 green onions, thinly sliced [I usually use about 4.]

1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro [but you know you can never have too much cilantro…]

corn tortillas

1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese

1 cooked, chopped chicken breast


Place beans and cumin in small bowl; partially mash. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Mix 2 teaspoons olive oil and lime juice in medium bowl; add coleslaw, green onions, and cilantro and toss to coat. Season slaw to taste with salt and pepper.

Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in large nonstick or cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add tortillas in single layer. Spoon 1/4 of bean mixture onto half of each tortilla; cook 1 minute. [Typically I’m a little more stingy with my beans and I just put about a tablespoon or so in each with some chicken.] Fold tacos in half. Cook until golden brown, about 1 minute per side. Fill tacos with feta and slaw and devour!




2 comments:

Seth and Janet said...

munch munch!

The Nutters! said...

So delicious! Smitten Kitchen is probably one of my new favorite blogs.