Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Fall Dinner: Pecans, Chicken, Squash

I actually made this for the first time as a KG meal I think over the summer. But we ate it the other night and it was a lovely, and easy, fall-feeling dinner.

Pecan-Crusted Chicken from Rachael Ray
- 1 c. pecans, toasted (I've never toasted mine...)
- 1/2 c. bread crumbs
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 4 skinless boneless chicken breasts (~ 1 1/1 lbs.; like with other recipes I usually pound the chicken to make it thinner and make it go a bit farther, it's more like chicken tenders that way.)
- 1/4 c. honey mustard (I usually just mix up my own)
  • Preheat the oven to 400.
  • Grind the pecans into fine crumbs in a food processor (or crush however).
  • Mix pecan crumbs, bread crumbs, and basil together. Season with salt and pepper or any additional spices that sound good. (I usually add a bit of paprika because I use plain bread crumbs.)
  • Rub each chicken breast with honey mustard and then coat with pecan mixture.
  • Place on a nonstick baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Bake until cooked through, about 15-20 minutes.
This past week we had it with acorn squash with sage "butter" and made it all the more seasonal. (Though actually I didn't have any sage so it was browned "butter" with maple syrup.) I've got a bunch of squash I bought at our Farmer'sMarket's last week of the season. I'm using it up slowly.

No comments: