Monday, February 26, 2007

Fight for Faith

"That is the way in which faith reasons. It says: ‘All right, I see the waves and the billows but’—it always puts up this ‘but’. That is faith, it holds on to truth and reasons from what it knows to be fact. That is the way to apply faith… Whatever the circumstances, therefore, stand, wait for a moment. Say: ‘I admit it all, but—’ But what? But God! but the Lord Jesus Christ! But what? The whole of my salvation! That is what faith does. All things may seem to be against me ‘to drive me to despair’, I do not understand what is happening; but I know this, I know that God has so loved me that He sent His only begotten Son into this world for me, I know that while I was an enemy, God sent His only Son to die on the Cross on Calvary’s Hill for me. He has done that for me while I was an enemy, a rebellious alien. I know that the Son of God ‘loved me and gave Himself for me’. I know that at the cost of His life’s blood I have salvation and that I am a child of God and an heir to everlasting bliss. I know that… Faith reminds itself of what the Scripture calls ‘the exceeding great and precious promises’. Faith says: ‘I cannot believe that He who has brought me so far is going to let me down at this point. It is impossible, it would be inconsistent with the character of God’. So faith, having refused to be controlled by circumstances, reminds itself of what it believes and what it knows… Whatever your circumstances at this moment, bring all you know to be true of your relationship to God to bear upon it. Then you will know full well that He will never allow anything to happen to you that is harmful. ‘All things work together for good to them that love God.’ Not a hair of your head shall be harmed, He loves you with an everlasting love. I do not suggest that you will be able to understand everything that his happening. You may not have a full explanation of it; but you will know for certain that God is not unconcerned. That is impossible. The One who has done the greatest thing of all for you, must be concerned about you in everything."
– Marytn Lloyd-Jones in Spiritual Depression: It's Causes and Cure

There aren't words to describe how much this quote has impacted my life or how sweet the truth that Lloyd-Jones speaks is to my heart. Maybe someday I'll add more about how specifically God has been using this in my life... but for now, ...God is good.

2 comments:

Laura said...

That book has encouraged me soooo much! I know every time I sit down to read it I can never read more than a few paragraphs b/c it is so packed with good stuff...thanks for sharing...God is so good ;)

Seth and Janet said...

Sooo good. My love has been reading that book to me. And that little excerpt was such an encouragement to me today!

love you!