Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Thanksgiving (4) Technology in 2009

It may seem like a small thing but on certain days I can't help but think of how different life would be without what I consider "modern technology." Life is so busy and full right now but at least for me and several of my friends the majority of our days are spent on the computer. The fact that I can "chat" my friends and still experience meaningful conversations that both challenge my heart, make me laugh, and keep us all in touch is such a unique part of the blessing of living in 2009. I can't imagine how much more I would miss Pate if there were no g-chat conversations or group chats with her and Rach or text messages to be shared to include her in Jan's labor. I can't imagine how much more I would battle with being a supportive and God-fearing wifey without being able to IM Jan on a rough day of battling my heart. I can't imagine how much farther away my little seester would feel without random texts back and forth and being able to know that she tells creepy guys that hit on her that her name is "Rebecca." (I'm flattered... I think?) I love being able to see what's going on with Diana via FaceBook or keep in touch and watch baby Lucy grow on Beth's blog.

Technology can be a distraction and an unhelpful one so much of the time. But at the same time there is much about it that I am grateful for and grateful for the tool that it can be for good things.

No comments: